om-synth

Re: [Om-synth] Re: midi control of effects

From: Scott Davidson
Subject: Re: [Om-synth] Re: midi control of effects
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 14:03:39 -0700

On Fri, 16 Jun 2006 22:39:17 +0200, "Lars Luthman"
<address@hidden> said:
> On Fri, 2006-06-16 at 12:55 -0600, Jake Michaelson wrote:
> > Thanks for the quick response, Dave. I like your idea - I would
> > describe this new node as a toggle switch: on the left of the node
> > one audio in and one MIDI in, on the right side of the node two audio
> > outs.  Only one audio out would be active at any given time, and if
> > the node receives the specified MIDI message, it toggles between the
> > outs.  To get my desired result I could use this "theoretical node"
> > as follows: one audio out could route directly into the master PCM
> > out (pass-through) and the other could route through an effects patch
> > and finally end up at the same PCM master out.  Sending a MIDI
> > message would simply toggle these routes (effect applied/no effect
> > applied).
>
> It sounds a bit too specific - I'd rather see a node with a single MIDI
> input (and possibly a control input to select the program number) and a
> single audio output, where the audio output signal is a gate that is
> controlled by MIDI PCs. Then it could be used with a mixer plugin or
> some signal logic to create the effect/bypass thing.
>
> Not that I would be opposed to anyone writing a plugin like the one you
> described, of course.

I like the plugin/gate idea and I respect the fact that the Node is
intended to be relatively naive. However, wouldn't the original plugin
node you are trying to bypass still be eating up processor cycles? Seems
like this could get expensive, depending on the plugin. I guess you
could put the plugin in a patch and use the existing patch-bypass
functionality in conjunction with the plugin/gate, but that might get
cumbersome.