om-synth

Re: [Om-synth] The name. Again.

From: Dave Robillard
Subject: Re: [Om-synth] The name. Again.
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2006 13:11:51 -0400

On Fri, 2006-06-02 at 10:20 -0500, grae wrote:
> I made this suggestion for the LADSPA rename and I'm not sure if
> anyone really cared, but I'll suggest again that whatever name you
> pick that you try to make it very unique.  I know it's difficult but
> it's sure wonderful to search for something on the net and get only
> results that pertain to your criteria as intended.
>
> Search for Maud and you'll get a wack load of results.  Of course
> search for "Om" and after 5 pages in google I didn't find any accurate
> results, so same problem.
>
> However, search for "om-synth" and you get everything Om (synth) and
> nothing but.

You're right, searching is nice, but having a lot of results for a hit
does not mean something won't be at the top of the rankings.

Looking at the results for Maud, I see 3 results, then a "typo"
correction to "Maude" (the common name).  Based on this and the fact
that those 3 hits are irrelevant home pages that aren't likely to be
linked to very much at all, I'm relatively certain Om as "Maud" would
climb to hit #1 quite easily.  Hence why it's my current top pick,
googlability is a criteria.

*shrug* I think it's kinda clever.  Modular and Audio mishmashed into a
nice little one syllable thing.

> Importantly, a point argued against this was that once the main site
> gains popularity then the searching is not such a problem as it will
> shoot up the search ranks.  However, a secondary (but equally
> important if not more) benefit of a unique name is that the obscure
> less known sites that reference your software will get much more
> exposure becuase of the fact that they are the 2nd 3rd and fourth
> sites (and so on) in the search results.  This exposure helps spread
> traffic to the whole community and ultimately serves to grow the linux
> audio community as a whole.  (I don't have an obscure linux audio site
> so I'm not trying to serve myself here)

This is a good point.  I think "Maud" without an E is a relatively
uncommon word, but there's certainly better.  This is a large part of
the reason I want to change the name.  Right now it's called something
weird and different on practically every site that mentions it, and it
ruins the type of exposure you're talking about here.

To be clear, I am NOT particularly attached to Maud, it's just the best
so far (IMNSHO).  I made this thread specifically to ask for help
picking one (eg not for whining about my wishes for my program).

> So I'm not suggesting you keep om-synth, I just ask that you consider
> the noted points as I see them to be a benefit to everyone in this
> fantastic community.

Agreed.

I'll try to think of other names if everyone hates Maud so much, but
obviously I suck at naming things.  Hell, I just payed for a stupid
domain name and that actually cost me money. ;)

I want a name that addresses the above points, the current one doesn't.

Ideas?

-DR-