om-synth

Re: [Om-synth] The name. Again.

From: grae
Subject: Re: [Om-synth] The name. Again.
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2006 10:20:39 -0500

I made this suggestion for the LADSPA rename and I'm not sure if
anyone really cared, but I'll suggest again that whatever name you
pick that you try to make it very unique.  I know it's difficult but
it's sure wonderful to search for something on the net and get only
results that pertain to your criteria as intended.

Search for Maud and you'll get a wack load of results.  Of course
search for "Om" and after 5 pages in google I didn't find any accurate
results, so same problem.

However, search for "om-synth" and you get everything Om (synth) and
nothing but.

Importantly, a point argued against this was that once the main site
gains popularity then the searching is not such a problem as it will
shoot up the search ranks.  However, a secondary (but equally
important if not more) benefit of a unique name is that the obscure
less known sites that reference your software will get much more
exposure becuase of the fact that they are the 2nd 3rd and fourth
sites (and so on) in the search results.  This exposure helps spread
traffic to the whole community and ultimately serves to grow the linux
audio community as a whole.  (I don't have an obscure linux audio site
so I'm not trying to serve myself here)

So I'm not suggesting you keep om-synth, I just ask that you consider
the noted points as I see them to be a benefit to everyone in this
fantastic community.

grae

On 6/2/06, Dave Robillard <address@hidden> wrote:
On Fri, 2006-06-02 at 08:55 +0200, address@hidden wrote:
> On Thu, 01 Jun 2006 15:31:22 -0400
> Dave Robillard <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> Why do you want to choose a new name?
> I think om is just integrated and gets known more and more.
> It would be bad to choose a new unknown name.

(Please don't top-post on this list)

"Om" sound silly in real life and gets lost in conversation (having no
consonants).  I don't ever, ever recall telling it to someone without
getting asked or having to explain it.  I need a more normal name if I
want to be able to take Om further and possibly do some research related
to it (without looking like a jackass).

Most importantly, everyone damn-well calls it "om-synth".  It's
changing.

-DR-