mediagoblin-userops

Re: [Userops] Why is it hard to move from one machine to another? An ana

From: Dave Crossland
Subject: Re: [Userops] Why is it hard to move from one machine to another? An analysis.
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2015 20:14:16 -0400

On 9 April 2015 at 19:05, Bob Mottram <address@hidden> wrote:
On Thu, Apr 09, 2015 at 05:51:23PM -0400, Dave Crossland wrote:
> This is a privileged mindset that emerges from the privilege of having LOTS of
> powerful hardware; not just a more powerful workstation but millions of more
> powerful workstations in dozens of warehouses around the world.
>
> Such privileges tend to leaves a smug _expression_ on one's face and trail of
> condescension in its wake; so I'd like to apologies in advance if I am annoying
> you or anyone with a condescending insistence on changing your mindset.

That sort of privilege doesn't interest me. I think it's an old centralised model.
The server warehouses are almost certainly full of "implants" and "special boxes"
and the mindset which goes along with that is totally compromised and
hierarchical.

I agree, but its not the organizational or political mindset but the technical mindset that interests me.

Even worse, that model wastes energy at a spectacular rate.

(Sure, its industrial scale so it uses a lot of energy. Running things at a personal scale necessarily can't use much. But, the economies of scale mean I suspect its not actually more wasteful watt for cpu cycle than your mini pc, plus, acmecorp's solar/dam powered datacenter in the desert/forest is greener than your mini pc powered by the utility grid which runs on coal/gas/nuclear.

I'm more interested in the hardware/software combination that you actually
control and which is probably in your home behind a sofa. It uses almost no
electricity and just allows you to communicate with a reasonable degree of
confidence and security on the internet, without any big companies or giant
server farms stuck in the middle (other than perhaps your ISP).

I think sandstorm containers may be perfectly adequate for this :)

 It disintermediates nearly all of the bulldada and the insane surveillance-
based business models which the contemporary internet seems to have turned
into.

Are you going to run the services on this micro computer on bare metal? :)

--
Cheers
Dave