mediagoblin-userops

Re: [Userops] Why is it hard to move from one machine to another? An ana

From: Dave Crossland
Subject: Re: [Userops] Why is it hard to move from one machine to another? An analysis.
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2015 18:01:03 -0400

Hi Asheesh

On 8 April 2015 at 15:20, Asheesh Laroia <address@hidden> wrote:
"Docker container" means large disk footprint.

I don't think this is so; Docker containers are mostly misused as full system images, because people using them have used vm systems that pre-date container systems and haven't upgraded their mindset.

Again, "Containers will do to apt what apt did to tar" - its like folks using dpkg like it was tar, `dpkg -i *.deb`, instead of setting up an apt repository and apt-get'ing those packages (which with ubuntu ppa infrastructure is now more common.)

I think the difference between Sandstorm containers and a Docker containers is a key understanding.

Docker _can_ containerise a full system image, but its not an ideal, 'post containerisation' use pattern... Can Sandstorm?

AFAIK, no, and that means using Sandstorm is, de facto, a 'post containerisation' usage pattern.

--
Cheers
Dave