mediagoblin-userops

Re: [Userops] Why is it hard to move from one machine to another? An ana

From: Dave Crossland
Subject: Re: [Userops] Why is it hard to move from one machine to another? An analysis.
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2015 17:51:23 -0400

Hi Chris

On 8 April 2015 at 13:02, Dave Crossland <address@hidden> wrote:

On 8 April 2015 at 11:22, Christopher Allan Webber <address@hidden> wrote:
running 80 heavy and expensive Docker images

Huh? The entire purpose of contains is that they are light and cheap.

Inline images 1

I return to this strip as being particularly apt to this discussion, because I am

(a) suggesting that you to get a more powerful hardware if you think containers are heavy; you just need to buy a 2015 vintage machine (which you referred to in your reply so you got that :) and they will become light; and also

(b) suggesting that to arrive at a vital userops position you to adopt or at least better understand the mindset of industrial computing ("devops").

This is a privileged mindset that emerges from the privilege of having LOTS of powerful hardware; not just a more powerful workstation but millions of more powerful workstations in dozens of warehouses around the world.

Such privileges tend to leaves a smug _expression_ on one's face and trail of condescension in its wake; so I'd like to apologies in advance if I am annoying you or anyone with a condescending insistence on changing your mindset.

(Since I know you face to face then I expect you know I'm speaking in good faith, but since I don't know many of you, I want to say this :)

--
Cheers
Dave