Re: Any active maintainers using MinGW/MSYS?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Any active maintainers using MinGW/MSYS?
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 21:49:08 +0200

> Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 08:26:01 -0500
> From: Earnie Boyd <address@hidden>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>, address@hidden
>
> >  >> 4) You'll need to replace the delivered config.guess and config.sub
> >  >> with the ones in /usr/share/libtool; alternatively you can modify
> >  >> config.guess and config.sub in the package to add a filter for MSYS
> >  >> whereever you find one for CYGWIN.
> >
> >  ez> I'd suggest to ask Paul to create an msys/ subdirectory and put there
> >  ez> the modified versions of config.guess and config.sub.  Alternatively,
> >  ez> if the modifications can be done by some Sed script, add just that
> >  ez> script to the distribution.  The W32 build instructions should then be
> >  ez> modified accordingly.
>
> No, that isn't necessary.  My hope would be to use the official version
> of make in native win32 (MSVCRT) build from within MSYS.

Sorry, I don't understand what you are saying.

You said that config.sub and config.guess need to be modified for them
to DTRT for the MSYS build of Make, so I suggested to make the
necessary magic as part of the Make distro, either as alternate
versions of those scripts, or, better yet, to have a script that would
edit them as part of the build, before we run the configure script.

How is this related to using ``the official version of make in native
win32''?  We are talking about running the configure script, not about
running Make.  What am I missing?