Re: Any active maintainers using MinGW/MSYS?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Any active maintainers using MinGW/MSYS?
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2006 12:28:29 +0200

> Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 17:02:42 +0000
> From: Greg Chicares <address@hidden>
> CC:  address@hidden
>
> > The shell I use is an old port of zsh.  It has some bugs (so it will
> > not currently run a typical configure script), but it's good enough to
> > run Makefile's that need a Unixy shell.
>
> Is that Amol Deshpande's old port of zsh?

Yes.  I just patched it a bit, to fix a couple of the more blatant
bugs (such as not recognizing that when called as `sh.exe', it is
supposed to emulate the Bourne shell, like it does if called as
`sh').

> If it is, then the toolset you describe is the one I use every
> day. And in that case I'd like to ask: can you build 'make' from
> source using just that zsh port and MinGW--and, if so, how?

The MinGW port of Make is currently built by the build_w32.bat batch
file (and it doesn't require any Unixy shell at all).  In the absence
of a native Windows port of a shell that would be able to run the
configure script, the next step would be to produce a Makefile.W32,
which, like Makefile.DOS, could be used to build Make if some other
version of Make is already installed.