Re: Any active maintainers using MinGW/MSYS?

From: J. Grant
Subject: Re: Any active maintainers using MinGW/MSYS?
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2006 11:16:53 +0000

On 07/03/06 22:12, Matt England wrote:
At 3/7/2006 03:28 PM, Paul D. Smith wrote:

To be clear: the non-POSIX ports of GNU make are 100% volunteer driven.
None of the official maintainers have any Windows systems: we can't even
run the regression tests on those ports ourselves.  We rely completely
on folks on the mailing lists to do all the development, support, and
maintenance of these ports.

So, we cannot take the files and run them, except on POSIX systems,
which seems like it would not be helpful for mingw/msys-specific
errors.

Wow. Well, this explains things. I was wondering my 'make' is so awry on mingw. It follows the general rule I've found in cross-platform development is that if the developers don't use a platform, you'll find more bugs on said platform.

It is about users as well, we need users to let us know if there are
issues. IMHO there isn't a support department per se, unless you wish to
hire me? ;)

Just to make sure: there's no developers/maintainers on the address@hidden list who actively or routinely use 'make' on mingw/msys?

I think you may have misunderstood. make-w32 is for MS-Windows
development/discussion, of the members there are quite a few of us who
run MSVC and MinGW builds in various shell environments. (FYI, just
in-case you did not know this, but MSYS GNU Make is not to be confused
with MinGW GNU Make build. MSYS make uses the MSYS dll, MinGW uses the
native windows CRT DLL.)

As for my project: mingw/msys builds are probably going to take a back seat to mingw cross-compiles on Debian now. I'm glad you provided this info Paul; this saves me a lot of potential time.

I'd still take the time to test as many platforms as you can, and submit
small reproducible test cases for any issues you identify which you
believe are bugs in Make rather than your Makefiles, scripts, MSYS, your
OS or your environment.

Kind regards
JG