Re: Any active maintainers using MinGW/MSYS?

From: Earnie Boyd
Subject: Re: Any active maintainers using MinGW/MSYS?
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 18:03:15 -0500

Quoting Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>:

Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 08:26:01 -0500
From: Earnie Boyd <address@hidden>
Cc: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>, address@hidden

>  >> 4) You'll need to replace the delivered config.guess and config.sub
>  >> with the ones in /usr/share/libtool; alternatively you can modify
>  >> config.guess and config.sub in the package to add a filter for MSYS
>  >> whereever you find one for CYGWIN.
>
>  ez> I'd suggest to ask Paul to create an msys/ subdirectory and put there
>  ez> the modified versions of config.guess and config.sub.  Alternatively,
>  ez> if the modifications can be done by some Sed script, add just that
> ez> script to the distribution. The W32 build instructions should then be
>  ez> modified accordingly.

No, that isn't necessary.  My hope would be to use the official version
of make in native win32 (MSVCRT) build from within MSYS.

Sorry, I don't understand what you are saying.

You said that config.sub and config.guess need to be modified for them
to DTRT for the MSYS build of Make, so I suggested to make the
necessary magic as part of the Make distro, either as alternate
versions of those scripts, or, better yet, to have a script that would
edit them as part of the build, before we run the configure script.

How is this related to using ``the official version of make in native
win32''?  We are talking about running the configure script, not about
running Make.  What am I missing?

I don't want MSYS to become Cygwin. Jonathan had asked how to build an MSYS version (using the MSYS runtime instead of the MSVCRT runtime) and I explained how to do that. I want it to be as difficult as possible to build source for MSYS because I intentially want people to not want to use the MSYS runtime for their own purposes.

At the same time it is my desire to use as many native (requiring MSVCRT runtime) binaries as possible within the MSYS toolset framework. I chose to use the Cygwin make version for MSYS because at the time I didn't have time to spend at working the issues with the native version; however, I still desire to do just that.

Earnie Boyd

http://shop.siebunlimited.com