Re: Any active maintainers using MinGW/MSYS?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Any active maintainers using MinGW/MSYS?
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 07:38:32 +0200

> Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 17:06:24 -0500
> From: Earnie Boyd <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> 3) Find all references in the source to __CYGWIN__ or __CYGWIN32__ and
> add or replace it with __MSYS__; if there are any.

This seems to suggest that such a change should be made in the Make
sources.  How about sending a patch for this?

> 4) You'll need to replace the delivered config.guess and config.sub
> with the ones in /usr/share/libtool; alternatively you can modify
> config.guess and config.sub in the package to add a filter for MSYS
> whereever you find one for CYGWIN.

I'd suggest to ask Paul to create an msys/ subdirectory and put there
the modified versions of config.guess and config.sub.  Alternatively,
if the modifications can be done by some Sed script, add just that
script to the distribution.  The W32 build instructions should then be
modified accordingly.

I think the goal should be to make the Make distro as self-contained
as possible, for all supported ports.

Would you like to send patches along these lines?

> Note, though the make version currently used in MSYS and CYGWIN is
> modified from the official release.  I do not know what the
> modifications are but some of them add a --win32 and --unix switch.

If you think those options are important, we could discuss adding them
to the official sources after the release of v3.81.