lmi

Re: [lmi] Wrong wxFlexGridSizer usage in about_dialog.cpp

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: [lmi] Wrong wxFlexGridSizer usage in about_dialog.cpp
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 14:54:41 +0000

After reading the HIG that Vadim pointed out here:
  http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/lmi/2010-01/msg00022.html
I reworked the layout. But I followed msw-xp practice where it differed.

On 2010-01-15 19:42Z, Greg Chicares wrote:
> On 2010-01-15 18:42Z, Murphy, Kimberly wrote:
>>
>> I checked out revision 4736, which includes the patch to the GUI
>> issue, and built Lmi. Upon launching Lmi, the 'About' window appears
>> more condensed than currently in production. There is very little
>> space between the pushbuttons and the edge of the window (i.e., the
>> gray area).
>
> Every control on this dialog had a five- or ten-pixel border on every
> side previously; now all borders are two pixels.

As of:
  $Id: about_dialog.cpp 4739 2010-01-18 14:31:11Z chicares $
pushbuttons have six pixels between them, and six pixels around them.
There's an extra one-pixel border around the whole contents of a dialog.
That's how msw-xp applets are laid out (e.g., Control Panel | Display),
at both 800x600 and 1600x1200.

The html window has no border of its own (except for the one-pixel
dialog border that we get without asking for it). That's how msw-xp
'wordpad' lays out the graphic at the top of its "about" dialog.

> The vertical space between the "Open" and "Cancel" buttons on the msw
> "File | Open" dialog is three pixels, though there's a six-pixel
> border around the whole dialog; it's enough to keep a southeast button
> from colliding with the size grip.

I tested this by making the "license" dialog resizable: the rightmost
pushbutton just touched the size grip, but didn't penetrate it. We'll
make it resizable in HEAD later.

> And msw dialogs with two buttons at the bottom generally align them on
> the right.

That's pretty much a universal guideline, so I followed it.