Re: How to auto print empty measures?

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: How to auto print empty measures?
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2018 13:52:39 -0500

Hi Aaron,

> What is the point of these empty measures?  That is, to what degree is seeing
> extra staff lines going to help the process of using LilyPond, a text-driven
> tool?

For anyone who composes directly in Lilypond, this could be a useful feature.
Personally, I don’t — I compose using paper and pen/pencil, and then engrave in
Lilypond — so if such a feature were added, I would want it to be optional
(i.e., not the default).

> I think LilyPond's current output behavior is ideal, since it very precisely
> renders exactly what you input.  If you provide multiple instruments with
> varying lengths of music, then you will see staves of varying lengths.  It is
> a strong visual indicator of the discrepancy.

I agree. But maybe Reggie will add the feature (yay, open source!), and it
might help others who want to use Lilypond in a way that is more similar to
other engraving applications.

Cheers,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer