Re: How to auto print empty measures?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: How to auto print empty measures?
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2018 20:34:37 +0100

> Hi Reggie,
>
>> I think it's silly that Lily cannot auto fill measures either that way.
>
> As someone who recently used Lilypond to draw a Riemannian Tonnetz
> graph (see
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2018-12/pdfhe5imdug__.pdf),
> I must say I doubt there is much Lilypond can’t do with a little
> programmatic encouragement.
>
>> Like if you enter input 4 4 time. You input one Quarter note and an
>> eighth note and want to auto fill measure with
>> engraved correctly blank rests like finale And sibelius it
>> doesn't. You have to always do all rests yourself.
>
> That’s only because you haven’t written the code to make Lilypond do
> it for you [and anyone else who wants such a feature]. Patches are
> always welcome!

The Completion_rest_engraver will do that in a variety of manners
(depending on the variables it uses to make its decisions).  It's not
all that popular outside of computer-generated music where barlines and
other metric boundaries are more of a coincidence and a help to the
human executioner rather than an integral part of the rhythm.

--
David Kastrup