Re: How to auto print empty measures?

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: How to auto print empty measures?
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2018 14:44:02 -0500

Hi David,

>> That’s only because you haven’t written the code to make Lilypond do
>> it for you [and anyone else who wants such a feature]. Patches are
>> always welcome!
>
> The Completion_rest_engraver will do that in a variety of manners
> (depending on the variables it uses to make its decisions).  It's not
> all that popular outside of computer-generated music where barlines and
> other metric boundaries are more of a coincidence and a help to the
> human executioner rather than an integral part of the rhythm.

Thanks for reminding me of its existence; I use neither Completion_*_engraver.

Now:

\version "2.19.80"

\layout {
  \context {
    \Voice
    \consists "Completion_rest_engraver"

{
  \time 4/4
  c'4
}

I believe Reggie would like the rest of that measure filled with rests (I’m
guessing a quarter rest and a half rest).

Cheers,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer
‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info