Re: Woctave-another gui front end

From: Stephen Montgomery-Smith
Subject: Re: Woctave-another gui front end
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2012 15:52:57 -0600

On 12/20/2012 01:00 PM, Stephen Montgomery-Smith wrote:
> On 12/20/2012 07:38 AM, Wolfgang Lindner wrote:
>> hi all,
>>
>> let me remember that it is possible to use
>> the following new native Windows-GUI for Octave:
>>
>> http://mat.caminos.upm.es/octave/
>>
>> Only download the following 2 files:
>>
>> http://forja.rediris.es/frs/download.php/2796/Octave-UPM-R6-setup.exe
>> http://forja.rediris.es/frs/download.php/2664/vcredist_x86.exe
>>
>> Then you will have a nice stable working GUI under Windows.
>> Give it a try.
>
> I just tried it out.  In my opinion it is a very nice piece of software.
>  I will definitely be recommending it to my students in the upcoming
> semester.

Is there a simple way to get the octave-forge packages included in this
as well?  Or if not, do you plan to include it in the future?

It is just that next fall I plan to teach a course which involves
solving ODE's, and I would prefer to use ode45 than lsode so that Matlab
users and Octave users get the same experience.  I won't defend against
lsode probably having a superior algorithm than ode45.  But I will only
be solving really simple equations anyway.

Maybe octave-forge is included in the menus, but I don't know Spanish.
It is still very easy to use even if one doesn't know Spanish, but I
could be missing some of its finer points.

Thanks, Stephen