Re: Woctave-another gui front end

From: delta
Subject: Re: Woctave-another gui front end
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2012 10:10:45 -0800 (PST)

I'd like to put my two cents in on the matter. I use octave to get work done,
I am a USER not a programmer. One problem that I have had with open\free
software is that it is not built for everyone, but mostly for the people
that write the code. Because I am an electrical engineer, I use software
(free or not) to my advantage to make myself more profitable, my goal is to
accomplish my tasks in the shortest time possible. I like software that I
can sit down and use without knowing anything about it before hand, this
saves me the most time, the time that I save can then be used to read other
things like chip documentation ect. One thing that I find with open software
is it is software written by programmers made for programmers. It is a
trivial thing that comes from a programming background to install\use octave
and install all of the packages. For what my time is worth, by the time I
familiarize myself with all of octaves nuances I might as well have bought
the equivalent commercial package, because my time is worth money. I might
also add that the commercial version has very little bugs, which also saves
me time. I do donate to open source projects, but only to the one's that I
can use, find well polished and save me time.