Re: Woctave-another gui front end

From: Sergei Steshenko
Subject: Re: Woctave-another gui front end
Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2012 02:35:19 -0800 (PST)

--- On Sat, 12/8/12, Freddy López <address@hidden> wrote:

From: Freddy López <address@hidden>
To: "Sergei Steshenko" <address@hidden>
Cc: "Søren Hauberg" <address@hidden>, "address@hidden" <address@hidden>
Date: Saturday, December 8, 2012, 12:02 PM
[snip]
Yes, Sergei, you are a god.
[snip]

Huh ?

The chips I took part designing had specs 200 .. 300 pages long.

PCIExpress spec, IIRC, is 700+ pages long.

Engineers in order just to start going in chip design need to read two or more
specs. So, using the numbers above, first about 1000 pages if documentation
need to be read.

There are _objective_ requirements for certain occupations. Ability and
willingness to read and understand documentation is a prerequisite for chip
designers and other engineers.

By the way, reading PCIExpress standard as PDF file I came across some
omissions - some terms were use, but not defined in the document. I happened to
be the pieces were defined in PCI (not Express) documentation, so it's natural
the omissions were made.

Because the same group of people was behind both standards. Since I didn't know
PCI standard, I found the omissions.

Year 2003 C++ standard is 756 pages long, and year 2011 C++ standard is even
longer since new features have been added.

Unwillingness to read documentation is refusal to obtain the necessary
knowledge already obtained and written by others.

As I read somewhere, sticking just with GUI is like perceiving the world as
pictures (children up to age of 4..5) and not learning to write.

Surprisingly, navigating through (file) menus is often slower than doing the
same in command line, especially taking into account that in command line one
can easily do things like

ls *foo*.m (dir *foo*.m)
find . -name "*foo*.m" -follow -print

- typical file manager widget doesn't have these features.

Also, tab completion in shells (
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Command-line_completion ) is quite helpful/useful.

One has to understand that a strange ecosystem has been created and is
sustained, the ecosystem consists of:

1) people who do not know command line;
2) people who say that command line is arcane, thus supporting ignorance of
people in 1);
3) programmers writing GUI (often for money - in commercial companies) for
people in 1).

Everybody in the ecosystem seems to be satisfied ( people in 1) have the GUI,
people in 2) have audience, people in 3) have income or, at least, publicity),
just the resources are squandered and efficiency suffers.

Regards,
  Sergei.