Re: [fink-core] Running Octave from Fink?

From: edmund ronald
Subject: Re: [fink-core] Running Octave from Fink?
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2012 04:01:53 +0100

Richard,

On the whole, free software has thrived, as Gnu/Linux shows. But I do think that we need a new version of the GPL which takes into account a world in which software is used to crosscompile to devices.

As for the  iDevice lockdown, reasonably we cannot hope to rouse the public to reject the iThings themselves, that would be as likely as causing children to reject toys, but we could probably temper any attempt to exploit criminal law here in Europe to lock them down. As geeks many of us have academic credibility, and in Europe at least that is still a strong currency in public discourse. Without criminal law to dissuade the owners of the devices, the locks on devices themselves are all that secures them, and experience has shown that anyone motivated can usually break into their own devices.

Last, not least, I do think that the FSF's positions have proven very effective in the past. However, Apple is now a fight you cannot afford to continue to evade.

Edmund