Re: [fink-core] Running Octave from Fink?

From: Andy Buckle
Subject: Re: [fink-core] Running Octave from Fink?
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2012 12:59:50 +0000

On 13 November 2012 12:42, edmund ronald <address@hidden> wrote:
Richard,

 With all due respect, I am not sure of the legality of jailbreaking vs. DCMA in the US; nor am I sure of the legality of providing tools to jailbreak. Worse yet, the arrival of electronic wallets supplies an excellent pretext for strongly criminalizing jailbreaking, and AppStore distribution is now becoming the norm also for Mac software, extending this model from iOS to the personal computer industry.

I fear that free software has no place in the Apple world. It is interesting that Apple are allowed to get away with this while relying on so many GPLed and free tools in their products, starting with the Mach kernel, the GNU utilities, and of course gcc itself.

As all Apple software is based on gcc, a personal protest by you against Apple's practices would probably be quite effective - how come you aren't doing something?  This thread started with worries about restrictive Xcode licenses, which essentially translates for us to restrictive gcc licenses.

I thought Apple modified BSD licensed stuff. That's how they get away with it.

--
/* andy buckle */