Re: [fink-core] Running Octave from Fink?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: [fink-core] Running Octave from Fink?
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2012 19:45:42 -0500

     With all due respect, I am not sure of the legality of jailbreaking vs.
    DCMA in the US; nor am I sure of the legality of providing tools to
    jailbreak.

That is not our concern.

    Worse yet, the arrival of electronic wallets supplies an
    excellent pretext for strongly criminalizing jailbreaking,

They always have pretexts.  Of course, we should push to make
jailbreaking legal for all devices, but we need not pay much
attention to their pretexts.

                                                               and AppStore
    distribution is now becoming the norm also for Mac software, extending this
    model from iOS to the personal computer industry.

They are making hardware which can't be used in freedom -- only junked.

But that does not affect our decision on this policy question.

    I fear that free software has no place in the Apple world. It is
    interesting that Apple are allowed to get away with this while relying on
    so many GPLed and free tools in their products, starting with the Mach
    kernel, the GNU utilities, and of course gcc itself.

Alas, we have no legal grounds to stop them.  Others have explained
why that is so.

    As all Apple software is based on gcc, a personal protest by you against
    Apple's practices would probably be quite effective - how come you aren't
    doing something?

I and the FSF have protested Apple many times and we continue to do
so.  See DefectiveByDesign.org.  Please sign up and encourage others
to sign up.  See also rotten-apple.org.

Apple does not care what we say, but we can rouse the public to
reject the iThings.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation