Re: [fink-core] Running Octave from Fink?

From: Alexander Hansen
Subject: Re: [fink-core] Running Octave from Fink?
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2012 10:49:55 -0700

On 11/12/12 7:44 AM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
> I don't think the issue here is a GPL violation at all. I was only
> slightly alarmed it might be, but I'm not anymore.
>
> The real issue is that in order to give free programs to users of Mac
> OS X we are first asking them to install a non-free compiler and agree
> to its restrictive terms. That they are already running a non-free OS
> isn't any reason to ask them to submit themselves to further
> restrictions.
>
> - Jordi G. H.

Right.

The issues here are:

1)  Fink, Homebrew, and Macports are fundamentally source-based, so they
don't provide binaries.

2)  Octave doesn't have official OS X binaries currently.

3)  We  don't know of a workable free alternate build toolset.

4)  OS X users who want Octave need to get it _somehow_.

5)  Nobody has time to work on issues 1-3. :-)
--
Alexander Hansen, Ph.D.
Fink User Liaison