Re: [fink-core] Running Octave from Fink?

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: [fink-core] Running Octave from Fink?
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2012 09:53:49 -0500

On Nov 10, 2012, at 11:08 PM, Richard Stallman wrote:

>    "We cannot allow people to add nonfree code to GPL-covered
>    programs." - not only you _can_, you _do_.
>
>    I suggest to read the GPL FAQ. As long as there is no distribution
>    of code (and distributing code between the same company sites is
>    _not_ distribution according to the FAQ), people can do with GPL
>    code whatever they like.
>
> that's true, but aren't we talking about distributing compiled programs?
> That is the only case for which the system library exception is relevant.
> It is an exception in the terms for distributing compiled programs.

We currently have installers for Windows, but not for MacOS X (although we did
in the past).

        http://octave.sourceforge.net

For MacOS X, we recommend building and installing using Fink, MacPorts, or
Homebrew.

        http://wiki.octave.org/Octave_for_MacOS_X

We do plan to provide binaries for MacOS.  I made a modest attempt using
MacPorts.  The approach would also work with Fink or Homebrew, but would
require more effort.

        http://wiki.octave.org/Create_a_MacOS_X_App_Bundle_Using_MacPorts

This approach relies upon include files that are bundled with Apple's Xcode
(free as it costs nothing, but requires registration, legal agreement, etc).
Using dependency tracking I confirmed that the following include files which
are under APSL are used to build Octave using MacPorts.

        /usr/include/Availability.h
        /usr/include/AvailabilityInternal.h
        /usr/include/AvailabilityMacros.h
        /usr/include/_structs.h
        /usr/include/_types.h
        /usr/include/architecture/i386/math.h
        /usr/include/crt_externs.h
        /usr/include/i386/_structs.h
        /usr/include/i386/_types.h
        /usr/include/i386/setjmp.h
        /usr/include/i386/signal.h
        /usr/include/libkern/_OSByteOrder.h
        /usr/include/libkern/i386/_OSByteOrder.h
        /usr/include/mach/i386/_structs.h
        /usr/include/machine/_structs.h
        /usr/include/machine/_types.h
        /usr/include/machine/endian.h
        /usr/include/machine/setjmp.h
        /usr/include/machine/signal.h
        /usr/include/machine/types.h
        /usr/include/math.h
        /usr/include/pthread.h
        /usr/include/pthread_impl.h
        /usr/include/sched.h
        /usr/include/setjmp.h
        /usr/include/sys/_posix_availability.h
        /usr/include/sys/_select.h
        /usr/include/sys/_structs.h
        /usr/include/sys/_symbol_aliasing.h
        /usr/include/sys/_types.h
        /usr/include/sys/appleapiopts.h

Reading the summary of the gcc runtime library exception, my impression is that
using these header files is fair game (even though there are complied  before
"runtime") ?

        http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gcc-exception-3.1.html

Ben