Re: [fink-core] Running Octave from Fink?

From: edmund ronald
Subject: Re: [fink-core] Running Octave from Fink?
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2012 20:38:21 +0100

This discussion started with Gnu Octave. Octave is an interpreter, so there are no downstream products. In what way can Apple's shenanigans on OS X create issues for users here? They are executing their code on the same non-free machine it was compiled on, and they have already agreed to said non-free environment.

On a harsher note, I think Apple should be encouraged to have the cops break down the doors of anyone who uses a jailbroken device with free software and has thus violated the shrinkwrap license. In fact I think they should be encouraged to write terms into the license whereby users donate their existence as chattel, and have these terms put to the test of the courts.

Edmund

On Fri, Nov 9, 2012 at 6:46 PM, Alexander Hansen <address@hidden> wrote:
On 11/9/12 10:02 AM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
> On 9 November 2012 11:59, Alexander Hansen <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Did you read the rest of what I wrote, where I said "the libraries, to
>> the best of my knowledge, *all come with the OS*"?
>
> Yes, but the Xcode package you download from Apple, even if it's just
> "Xcode command-line tools" contains non-free headers you have to
> #include, correct? Otherwise, what is preventing us from
> redistributiing "Xcode command-line tools" and get a working free
> distribution?
>
> - Jordi G. H.

That's a different argument, though.  I was just pointing out that what
Fink, Macports, and Homebrew are doing should on the up-and-up with
respect to the GPL, since we don't insist on using non-free libraries
that _aren't_ part of the system.  We don't control how Apple handles
*their* stuff.  We just have to deal with it as part of the realm in
which we operate.

If there were a totally libre self-contained build tool set for OS X
somewhere, then there would likely be nothing mechanically in the way of
making e.g. a fork of Fink which completely avoids building against
Apple's proprietary stuff, and therefore wouldn't need Xcode.

And if Fink had the resources, most of our users would very much prefer
to work with precompiled binaries and not have to deal with building
packages and installing Xcode.  However, nobody's offering that to us.

--
Alexander Hansen, Ph.D.
Fink User Liaison