Re: [fink-core] Running Octave from Fink?

From: edmund ronald
Subject: Re: [fink-core] Running Octave from Fink?
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2012 17:32:20 +0100

I'm sorry, I don't understand how Apple can include gcc in a package with restrictive license conditions that would apply to software that is compiled with gcc? Something sounds wrong here, especially since any proprietary libraries would be *dynamically linked* on the target systems rather than actually included in the distribution.

Edmund

On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 5:23 PM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <address@hidden> wrote:
On 12 November 2012 11:03, edmund ronald <address@hidden> wrote:
> What is the legal status of this:
> http://kennethreitz.com/xcode-gcc-and-homebrew.html

It's like the 4th time that comes up. Did you read all of that? What
happened is that the guy ripped out some parts of Xcode that he didn't
want and made his own distribution, under dubious legal status. Then
Apple came along, saw this, and created a trimmed-down version of
Xcode called "Xcode command line tools" that is almost the same as
whaht Kenneth Reitz is distributing, plus the extra non-free things
that Kenneth was trying to distribute.

Also note that this isn't even "open source" as he claims at the
bottom of that blog post, because open source also means free
distribution, which this doesn't have.

- Jordi G. H.