Re: "errors" when running plot

From: ws
Subject: Re: "errors" when running plot
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 21:13:55 +0000 (UTC)

> Try using
>
> putenv ("GNUTERM", "windows")

octave:4> putenv("GNUTERM", "windows")
octave:5> plot(1:10)
octave:6> print foo.png
Unknown or ambiguous terminal name 'windows'

> But don't set this to a bitmap (such as png), as that will only work when an
output file is provided (i.e. when printing).

I don't ever want to open a window.  I am also running Linux.  I tried it, just
for giggles, and it gave the above error.

> I do not know why you get the x11 error. Do you get it when you run gnuplot
direclty and enter the commands below?

> set term png
> set output test.png
> plot sin(x)
> exit

My gnuplot session (I don't think the problem is there, no X11 warning....):

Terminal type set to 'unknown'
gnuplot> set term png
Terminal type set to 'png'
Options are 'nocrop medium '
gnuplot> set output test.png
         undefined variable: test

gnuplot> set output "test.png"  # need quotes
gnuplot> plot sin(x)
gnuplot> exit

Thanks!