Re: "errors" when running plot

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: "errors" when running plot
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 21:56:15 -0400

On 11-Jun-2009, ws wrote:

| Lil-old-me contribute a patch!?

Why not?

| I love Octave mailing list -- nobody else gets
| to the "want it different -- send a patch!" quite so quick.

Think of it as my way of telling you and everyone else on the list
that there are too few people working on Octave as it is, and that we
could use some more help to implement things that probably only a few
people actually care about.  So if you think this particular feature
is important, maybe you'll contribute a patch for it.  Or maybe
someone else will be motivated to do it.  Or maybe you just want other
people to do things for you, for free?

| I would be in favor of automagically silencing warnings
| if the evidence is that there is no X11 running at all.

I think it is reasonable to give the warning if DISPLAY is not set or
an X11 server can't be found since that will mean that plotting isn't
possible, and a message to that effect will probably help most users.
Having a --no-window-system option would allow you to tell Octave that
you know that you don't want to display graphics, so don't bother
checking for a window system, or warn users if one is not available.

jwe