Re: "errors" when running plot

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: "errors" when running plot
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 20:54:49 -0400

On Jun 10, 2009, at 8:14 PM, ws wrote:

I suspect the error is unrelated to plotting. For Linux, I understand
that an x11 call is used to determine the size and dpi of your screen.

Do you not have x11 running at all?

Umm, no ... why would I have X11 running on a Linux server, located in
somebody's closet, basically? (Oh the culture shock!) Relying on X11 for
things besides windowing seems bad to me.

Thanks for working with me Ben! Hopefully this is useful to someone besides
me....

One thing is that if you are running a server, superfluous messages like about X11 not being set can really screw you up, and (at the very least) generate a lot of annoying email messages via cron. So unless it really matters, they should be eliminated. I slightly customized my gnuplot installation to get rid of a stupid warning about the fonts that they introduced with the last release.

Ok, I located the source of the warning. It is line 124 of src/ display.cc.

If you'd like to propose a change to display.cc that would only effect non-MacOSX unix systems, and would only give a warning when X11 is present and running, we can discuss it on the developers list.

Ben