Re: "errors" when running plot

From: ws
Subject: Re: "errors" when running plot
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 16:29:58 +0000 (UTC)

> I assume you're just wanting to suppress output to a window? If not, can you
describe what behavior it is you desire?

> If you'd like to suppress displayed output, you can begin our Octave session
with

>     set (0, "defaultfigurevisible", "off")
>
> That will suppress output to a window, but the print command will still work.

Thanks Ben -- I am almost there.  I made the following changes to
octavehome/share/octave/site/m/startup/octaverc, and plotting works great:

putenv('DISPLAY', '')
putenv('GNUTERM', 'png')
gnuplot_binary ('/home/wsprague/gnuplot-4.2.5/bin/gnuplot')
set (0, "defaultfigurevisible", "off")

However, I am still getting "warning: X11 DISPLAY environment variable not set"
errors when I start up.  Since I am running completely "X-less" (graphing
highway vehicle traffic using a cron job), I would like to make this go away --
if nothing else, for the sake of good craftsmanship.

Thanks to Ben and all Octave users and developers!