Re: How does Octave shine?

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: How does Octave shine?
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 18:31:26 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 21 Sep 2006, Cameron Laird wrote:

It's the more technical observations that have most helped me this week, though, as the audience for this demonstration seems immune to our arguments about scientific method, portability, and so on. My thanks for all your remarks.

They might not need portability, but they might like money. I think "free as in speech" gives us a great community and a great product. I think "free as in beer" is also very important when I read about people who run dozens or hundreds of instances of the program at once. It sounds like Octave can save a department a million dollars in the course of a decade. In many cases, I'll bet, you just wouldn't do the work at all if you had to use MATLAB because the cost of running MATLAB on 100 processors is prohibitive.

Mike