Re: How does Octave shine?

From: Alexander Barth
Subject: Re: How does Octave shine?
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 16:40:14 -0400

Hi,

Another advantage of octave over matlab is portability. In my group, we needed
to run matlab code on
an Itanium 64-bit machine. However, this architecture is not supported by
matlab. We succeeded to
run the 32-bit version of matlab but we were unable to compile some mex-files
(gcc cannot create
32-bit binaries on Itanium unlike on AMD x86_64). With minor changes to the
matlab scripts and after
writing equivalent mex-files for octave (by the way, this is the octcdf toolbox
in octave-forge), we
were able to run our programs on the Itanium machine.

In general, mex files in matlab are a pain, especially for larger projects
(unless you have exactly
the same version of gcc and external libraries used for compiling matlab).
There is no such problem
with octave since octave is compiled with the system compiler and linked
against the system libraries.

Currently, only Fortran 77 is supported in matlab but most new scientific
Fortran applications are
written in Fortran 90/95. Some Linux distributions (if not most) use now a
Fortran 90 compiler
(gfortran or g95) as the default Fortran compiler for octave. Therefore it is
quite simple to call
Fortran 90 code from octave. And, yes, Fortran is still by far the most widely
used programming
language in my field.

With octave, I am sure that the code that I write today can still be used in,
say, 10 years. Not all
institution use matlab, some maybe use IDL or something else. It is not
uncommon for scientists to
change institution and they are expected to bring their expertise (including
code) to the new
institution.

And, as mentioned previously, open-source fosters scientific collaboration
while the dependence on
proprietary software impedes it. A crucial characteristic of scientific results
is the ability of
other to reproduce them. This aspect is partially lost in the case of
proprietary software.

>From the technical side, I'm convinced that the new package manager will make
>the distribution and
management of 3rd party software packages much more easier in octave than in
matlab.

But there are also areas where matlab has still the lead, in particular
visualization and speed of
non-vectorized code.

Cheers,
Alex