Re: How does Octave shine?

From: Quentin Spencer
Subject: Re: How does Octave shine?
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 20:56:42 -0500

Jordi Gutierrez Hermoso wrote:
On 20/09/06, Cameron Laird <address@hidden> wrote:
 What shows Octave off to best advantage for a Matlab-using audience?

I can think of a couple of enhancements I particularly enjoy:

1) "Better" syntax. By this I generally mean that I find Octave just
slightly more readable in that allows for some mostly cosmetic
enhancements like endfunction, endfor, or endif instead of just a
plain end.

I forgot about syntax differences. My favorite syntax enhancements are the C-style ++ += *= and /= operators. Another one is the ability to index the output of an expression. Suppose you wanted to find the median value of 101 random variables (ignoring that octave has a median function). In octave, you can do this:

y = sort(rand(1,101))(51);

In Matlab, this is a syntax error and requires two steps:

x=sort(rand(1,101));
y = x(51);

-Quentin