Re: How does Octave shine?

From: Tom Holroyd
Subject: Re: How does Octave shine?
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 17:41:34 -0400 (EDT)

One of the things that I have been doing with Octave is running it on the large cluster we have. I routinely run Octave simultaneously on 128 CPUs. Mathworks has given us a deal where we could get a license to do that for $36,000. We currently pay $96,000 for 11 licenses! It's like airplane tickets. But to date nobody is interested in buying the cluster license even though it's supposed to be cheaper (and it's out of my control anyway). There are alternatives, such as the compiler license or the distributed toolbox (both of which cost mucho bucks), but I can do development with Octave on my laptop (which I would need a separate licence for) for free, and run it on as many CPUs as I like.

Furthermore, beyond just being free, if you've ever been prevented from running Matlab by a misconfigured license manager, despite having paid for a license, you'll know what a royal fcking pain it is to fix it. A program whose sole purpose is to prevent you from using software is just evil.

Not to mention the excellent support that Octave has. Just as an example, I found a bug last week (not a bug per se but rather an incompatibility related to a lack of functionality), and it was fixed three days later. This is quite typical and I can give examples of 1 day turnaround-time on bugs (the longest I've had to wait was a couple months or so). Just forget about similar times from Mathworks.

Beyond that, there have been times when I needed something specialized, and I was able to write it myself in short order owing to the availablity of the source code (not always the best documentation, but certainly the last word, and more importantly I was able to copy some existing code and modify it for my purposes).

Tom Holroyd, Ph.D.
We experience the world not as it is, but as we expect it to be.