Re: How does Octave shine?

From: Peter Cloetens
Subject: Re: How does Octave shine?
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 23:24:34 +0200

Hi,
We moved most of our processing for tomographic imaging from matlab to octave.
The main benefits that I feel are:
1) we are no longer stuck because of unavailable licenses (we used floating
matlab licenses)
2) octave is sometimes 20-30% faster for processing involving lots of FFT's
(Fourier Optics, ...)
3) we have many cases where we need stupid parallelization. with Condor for job
scheduling + octave we can use tens of CPU's
4) for display and interaction with images we use now ImageJ and octave can get
some of the results. so we got rid of matlab's lousy image tools.
5) in the details, coding in Octave leaves more freedom (! or ~, # or %, " or
',...) and it is closer to other languages (some of the matlab weird
specificities are gone)
6) matlab is clearly more and more a windoze program that happens to be
available for linux/unix. octave integrates much better with linux and batch
processing, an important advantage for us at least.
In my experience it is not very difficult to convince a beginner to use either
octave or matlab, to convince long-term matlab users can be more difficult...
Good luck,
Peter