Re: How does Octave shine?

From: Cameron Laird
Subject: Re: How does Octave shine?
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 11:21:22 +0000

On Thu, Sep 21, 2006 at 08:39:45AM +0200, David Bateman wrote:
                        .
                        .
                        .
> If you have the matlab communications toolbox, one nasty example for
> matlab I like is
>
> N=5; for n=100:100:500, t=cputime(); inv(gf(randint(n,n,2^N), N));
> cputime() - t, end
>

> try this with octave-forge forges communications toolbox. And this is a
> realistic thing to want to do in communications i you deal with LDPC codes.
                        .
                        .
                        .
Many people have helped with their follow-ups; in most
cases, I've thanked them privately.  In this case, I'll
say a few words on the mailing list.

Yes, thank you, this is exactly the sort of specific
response I find helpful.  As it turns out, I do NOT
have the Matlab communications toolbox, and would
appreciate knowing what I'm getting into here.  I
suspect you're telling me that Octave handles the
sequence above in a fraction of the time of Matlab; do
I have that right?  What sort of fraction have you
experienced?