Re: Octave in Universities

From: Christophe Prud'homme
Subject: Re: Octave in Universities
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 06:32:44 +0100

At EPFL, an association called poseidon (poseidon.epfl.ch),sponsored by the
school, is pushing the use of free software and octave in particular.
Matlab is used in many courses and among them the numerical analysis courses
taught by our chair. Poseidon has sponsored an effort to port one of our
course to octave and the associated book (that will have the title
"scientific computing with matlab and octave" by A. Quarteroni and F.
Saleri). Next September we start using and supporting octave in our courses.
There are other similar initiative in the school.

Best regards,
C.

[ Friday 10 March 2006 15:02 ]
| Recently spoke with a college prof who was using Matlab (edu version).
| I mentioned he might consider using octave since it was open source.
| He asked if there are many universities using octave. I said I would
| check with the list.
| I was under the impression that there were numerous universities
| using octave.
|
| There may even be a list on the web of universities using octave.
|
| If you know anything about this information let me know.
|
| Larry Blodgett
| address@hidden

Christophe Prud'homme
EPFL SB IACS CMCS