Re: Octave in Universities

From: Paul Koufalas
Subject: Re: Octave in Universities
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 04:29:12 -0600

Javier,

I found out about J-Sim (Simulink for Octave) some months ago but
haven't had a chance to evaluate it; check it out...

http://www.webeng.org/jsim.htmCheersPaul.

Javier Arantegui wrote:

>>Hello,
>>
>>El Martes, 14 de Marzo de 2006 18:20, Quentin Spencer escribió:
>>

>>>Yes, but don't you have to do the same thing in the Matlab GUI when you
>>>forget the commands? I guess I agree with John on this--the GUI offers
>>>some nice features, and for many applications it helps quite a bit for
>>>beginners, but for Matlab/Octave, I don't see what difference a GUI
>>>makes for learning the language.
>>>

>>When I read the messages about the Matlab GUI, I thought you were talking
>>about Simulink:
>>http://www.mathworks.com/products/simulink/?BB=1
>>
>>I haven't used it, but it looks like a killer application. It makes using
>>Matlab a complete different experience. There is no Free Software like
>>Simulink :-(  Well, I tested Scicos a long time ago, but I found it quite
>>unusable.
>>
>>Javier

--- Begin Message --- Subject: Re: Octave in Universities Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 20:55:48 +1030 User-agent: Mozilla Thunderbird 1.0.7 (X11/20051013)

Javier Arantegui wrote:

>Hello,
>
>El Martes, 14 de Marzo de 2006 18:20, Quentin Spencer escribió:
>

>>Yes, but don't you have to do the same thing in the Matlab GUI when you
>>forget the commands? I guess I agree with John on this--the GUI offers
>>some nice features, and for many applications it helps quite a bit for
>>beginners, but for Matlab/Octave, I don't see what difference a GUI
>>makes for learning the language.
>>

>When I read the messages about the Matlab GUI, I thought you were talking
>about Simulink:
>http://www.mathworks.com/products/simulink/?BB=1
>
>I haven't used it, but it looks like a killer application. It makes using
>Matlab a complete different experience. There is no Free Software like
>Simulink :-(  Well, I tested Scicos a long time ago, but I found it quite
>unusable.
>
>Javier

--- End Message ---