guix-devel

Re: Multiple profiles with Guix Home

From: Andrew Tropin
Subject: Re: Multiple profiles with Guix Home
Date: Thu, 05 May 2022 11:01:27 +0300

On 2022-05-04 15:15, Reza Housseini wrote:

>>> Pierre's "Guix Profiles in Practice" is a 2.5 years old blog post.
>>> If
>>> you can't think of any uses for multiple profiles, you're not the
>>> target audience at this point.
>>>
>> I have seen that blog post.  I do use profiles, albeit with "guix
>> environment" and now "guix shell".  But I have not yet seen any reasons
>> for profile _splitting_.  And if I'm not the target audience, what does
>> that matter?
>>
>> Greetings,
>> Maxime.
>
> A specific use case for profile splitting I see very useful, is e.g.
> having a profile with all your editor and plugin dependencies and your
> project specific dependencies. So if you work on a specific project you
> can merge the two profiles and your linters will not complain about
> missing dependencies.
>
> I can also imagine more fine grained splitting, for example test and
> documentation dependencies in separate profiles or even unit test and
> integration test dependencies split into separate profiles.
>
> At the moment I see no possibilities for even the "easy" use case I
> mentioned first.

I do some work in rde project for reusing guix home infrastructure
outside of Guix Home for making per-project development environments.
https://youtu.be/knRDdhLRY5Y

This allows to have project dependencies including editor, its plugins
and dependencies of plugins and other stuff available for your project,
but not polluting your main profile or interfer with other projects.
https://youtu.be/pS9JBKdAy4Q

Everything is very much WIP, but I'll document all the stuff in
https://trop.in/rde/manual, when it ready.

--
Best regards,
Andrew Tropin