guix-devel

Re: Multiple profiles with Guix Home

From: Reza Housseini
Subject: Re: Multiple profiles with Guix Home
Date: Wed, 4 May 2022 15:15:38 +0200

On 5/4/22 09:01, Maxime Devos wrote:
Liliana Marie Prikler schreef op wo 04-05-2022 om 06:16 [+0200]:
Until the previous mail, I have not seen anything about thematic
profiles, so I did not have thematic profiles in mind in my
response.
Even then, I'm not sure what these thematic profiles are supposed
solve that is not working around some underlying problem (e.g. slow
profile building times).
Pierre's "Guix Profiles in Practice" is a 2.5 years old blog post.
If
you can't think of any uses for multiple profiles, you're not the
target audience at this point.

I have seen that blog post.  I do use profiles, albeit with "guix
environment" and now "guix shell".  But I have not yet seen any reasons
for profile _splitting_.  And if I'm not the target audience, what does
that matter?

Greetings,
Maxime.

A specific use case for profile splitting I see very useful, is e.g. having a profile with all your editor and plugin dependencies and your project specific dependencies. So if you work on a specific project you can merge the two profiles and your linters will not complain about missing dependencies.

I can also imagine more fine grained splitting, for example test and documentation dependencies in separate profiles or even unit test and integration test dependencies split into separate profiles.

At the moment I see no possibilities for even the "easy" use case I mentioned first.

Cheers,

Reza