guix-devel

Re: Multiple profiles with Guix Home

From: Liliana Marie Prikler
Subject: Re: Multiple profiles with Guix Home
Date: Wed, 04 May 2022 06:16:05 +0200

Am Dienstag, dem 03.05.2022 um 22:59 +0200 schrieb Maxime Devos:
> > > They don't have to code up shell wrappers or split profiles.
> > > They can just use a single profile.
> > This sentence signals to me that you didn't think about this mail
> > at all.  Consider that people may want to split their packages
> > across small thematic profiles, but the current implementation of
> > Guix hinders them in doing so.
>
> I did think about this mail.  In particular, the parts about faster
> union building.  So my response was about making profiles faster
> without having to figure out how to split profiles -- neither
> manually (see suggestion about automatic profile splitting) nor
> automatically (see O(n²) vs. O(n lg n) union-build).
Note that I only spoke about costs and benefits in terms of runtime,
because I assumed that to be what Andrew meant by costs and benefits.
Managing multiple profiles declaratively OTOH is itself a benefit that
ought not be ignored!  Also kn log kn is still bigger than k(n log n).

> Until the previous mail, I have not seen anything about thematic
> profiles, so I did not have thematic profiles in mind in my response.
> Even then, I'm not sure what these thematic profiles are supposed to
> solve that is not working around some underlying problem (e.g. slow
> profile building times).
Pierre's "Guix Profiles in Practice" is a 2.5 years old blog post.  If
you can't think of any uses for multiple profiles, you're not the
target audience at this point.

Cheers