guix-devel

Re: Multiple profiles with Guix Home

From: Maxime Devos
Subject: Re: Multiple profiles with Guix Home
Date: Tue, 03 May 2022 22:44:41 +0200

Liliana Marie Prikler schreef op di 03-05-2022 om 22:04 [+0200]:
> > Also, why would the user need to split things, couldn't Guix do
> > that
> > automatically?
> Oh, sure, I'll just train a machine learning model to partition
> packages into profiles.  This will obviously be better than a human
> figuring things out, because machines can't fail ever.
>
> In case the above wasn't clear enough, I'd rather leave this decision
> to the user along with the decision of whether or not to waste
> electricity in training an artificial intelligence.  Offering a
> declarative interface to profile splitting benefits everyone here.

I did not suggest any machine learning or AI?  Also, how can a machine
fail here?  The computed partitioning might not be optimal, but as long
as we're careful with search paths and its not overly suboptimal, any
partititioning would do (in the sense that it doesn't ‘lose’ packages
or invent packages oout of thin air or something).

Greetings,
Maxime.