guix-devel

Re: Multiple profiles with Guix Home

From: Liliana Marie Prikler
Subject: Re: Multiple profiles with Guix Home
Date: Wed, 04 May 2022 20:38:39 +0200

Am Mittwoch, dem 04.05.2022 um 09:01 +0200 schrieb Maxime Devos:
> I have seen that blog post.  I do use profiles, albeit with "guix
> environment" and now "guix shell".  But I have not yet seen any
> reasons for profile _splitting_.
That's nice for you, but don't take that to mean that no one has any
reason to do so ever.  I personally have my Guix profile already split
across several manifests, that could easily fit into separate profiles
if Guix didn't make working with those an absolute pain.

> And if I'm not the target audience, what does that matter?
It matters because it makes part of your complaint basically "fuck your
use case, mine's already satisfied" (pardon my French).  As for the
other point, which is tangential issues remaining, those deserve fixing
too, but they're not the point of this debate.  Particularly w.r.t.
evaluating search paths across multiple profiles, we already have an
instance of that even without allowing users to specify multiple
profiles easily.  Thus we not only can think about them as different
matters, we should even derive solutions that work outside the context
of guix home!

Cheers