guix-devel

Re: Multiple profiles with Guix Home

From: Liliana Marie Prikler
Subject: Re: Multiple profiles with Guix Home
Date: Thu, 05 May 2022 18:31:32 +0200

Am Donnerstag, dem 05.05.2022 um 13:03 +0200 schrieb Maxime Devos:
> Liliana Marie Prikler schreef op do 05-05-2022 om 06:25 [+0200]:
> > You are still debating the legitimacy of splitting ~/.guix-profile
> > and I don't want to entertain that discussion longer than it's
> > worth.  Just trust me that there are people, like myself, who
> > *want* to split them.
>
> I am not debating any legitimacy (<home-profile> is not some
> government), I am discussing the reasons, and whether some of the
> features (e.g. faster profile building) can be implemented more
> generally (not Guix Home-exclusive), without manual configuration.
I think you're misunderstanding cause and effect here.  For small n,
O(n) = O(1).

> If some reasons remain (e.g. tidyness of separated thematic
> profiles), _those_ reasons could be a good reason for <home-profile>
> or the like.  What I'd like to avoid, is avoiding extra complexity
> for the wrong reasons, and only adding it for the right reasons.
To reiterate, the primary reason for using Guix Home to manage multiple
profiles is so that we can manage multiple profiles in a declarative
manner.  The rest, e.g. smaller build times if you split your profile
along the right cuts, is a result and may for some very well be a
reason to do the split, but it is not the main reason to allow the
split.

Cheers