guix-devel

Re: Multiple profiles with Guix Home

From: Maxime Devos
Subject: Re: Multiple profiles with Guix Home
Date: Thu, 05 May 2022 13:03:02 +0200

Liliana Marie Prikler schreef op do 05-05-2022 om 06:25 [+0200]:
> You are still debating the legitimacy of splitting ~/.guix-profile and
> I don't want to entertain that discussion longer than it's worth.  Just
> trust me that there are people, like myself, who *want* to split them.

I am not debating any legitimacy (<home-profile> is not some
government), I am discussing the reasons, and whether some of the
features (e.g. faster profile building) can be implemented more
generally (not Guix Home-exclusive), without manual configuration.  If
some reasons remain (e.g. tidyness of separated thematic profiles),
_those_ reasons could be a good reason for <home-profile> or the like.
What I'd like to avoid, is avoiding extra complexity for the wrong
reasons, and only adding it for the right reasons.

Greetings,
Maxime