guix-devel

Re: Multiple profiles with Guix Home

From: Liliana Marie Prikler
Subject: Re: Multiple profiles with Guix Home
Date: Thu, 05 May 2022 21:17:25 +0200

Am Donnerstag, dem 05.05.2022 um 19:41 +0200 schrieb Maxime Devos:
> Liliana Marie Prikler schreef op do 05-05-2022 om 19:27 [+0200]:
> > We're not talking about the same kind of profile management here.
> > By profile management I mean creating, updating, modifying and
> > deleting a profile that has the same basic properties as ~/.guix-
> > profile or ~/.guix-home.  Shell profiles are not that.
>
> ... ~/.guix-profile and ~/.guix-home profiles do not have the same
> basic properties?  ~/.guix-profile is to be managed imperatively with
> "guix install", "guix package -u" or such or semi-imperatively
> mostly-declaratively with "guix package -m" , whereas ~/.guix-home is
> in theory only to be managed with "guix home reconfigure"?"
And would you look at this, my proposed solution would make ~/.guix-
home a profile that can be managed by `guix package', or even be
dropped in favour of ~/.guix-profile or any list of profiles.  This
also extends to the pull profile, which can be moved to a different
location, assuming you use `guix pull -p' and specify the pull profile
as an enabled empty profile.

> And except for not having a location in $HOME somewhere and not being
> mutatable, if that's you mean, "guix shell" produces the same kind of
> profile as "guix home" AFAICT?
Sure.  "guix system disk-image" also produces the same kind of profile,
but it's better hidden.  That's not the point.