guix-devel

Re: Testing the installer

From: Gábor Boskovits
Subject: Re: Testing the installer
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2020 08:48:20 +0100

Hello,

Bengt Richter <address@hidden> ezt írta (időpont: 2020. jan. 24., P, 0:08):

> Hello Gábor,
>
> On +2020-01-23 12:21:27 +0100, Gábor Boskovits wrote:
> [...]
>
> > This is a bit off topic, but I am about to create an automatic
> > installer, that is
> > a candidate for a new backend. It currently works by providing a
> > configuration
> > record, and then executes a few things from the installer.
> >
> > (It does a lookup for a candidate installation target disk, autopartitions
> > it,
> > then injects the bootloader and file-system fields into an operating-system
> > template, and finally does a system installation.)
> >

> Will your installer be able to create /boot and / images that will
> work with Coreboot/SeaBios/grub legacy-only (not UEFI) bootable systems
> (like PureOS)?

It is based on the current installation image, and it accepts a Guix
System configuration
template, so it works on systems that Guix System can currently operate on.
Right now the bootloader configuration is limited to that what the
autopartitoning in the
installer does for the option 'All in one partiton', which means that
UEFI or legacy is
autodetected, and installed accordingly. Does that answer you question?

> IOW, what kind of BIOS systems is it dependent on?
>
> > I will have a look at the new protocol soon, to see if this project
> > can benefit from that.
> [...]
>

> > Best regards,
> > g_bor
> > --
> > OpenPGP Key Fingerprint: 7988:3B9F:7D6A:4DBF:3719:0367:2506:A96C:CF63:0B21
> >

> --
> Regards,
> Bengt Richter

Best regards,
g_bor
--
OpenPGP Key Fingerprint: 7988:3B9F:7D6A:4DBF:3719:0367:2506:A96C:CF63:0B21