guix-devel

Re: Testing the installer

From: sirgazil
Subject: Re: Testing the installer
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2020 12:49:21 -0500

 ---- On Sun, 12 Jan 2020 18:34:54 -0500 sirgazil <address@hidden> wrote ----
 >  ---- On Sun, 12 Jan 2020 17:13:54 -0500 Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden>
 > wrote ----
 >  > Hello Guix!
 >  >
 >  > One of the lessons from the 1.0.0 screw-up was that we should test the
 >  > graphical installer itself:
 >
 > And, if possible, not test only using virtual machines, but real ones,
 > because I remember my installation in a virtual machine went smoothly, but
 > installing in my real machine was rough (network devices not detected,
 > installer generated config.scm with truncated UUID, unknown error when
 > trying to restart installation).

By the way, in my old notes about my installation of the Guix System 1.0.0, I
have something about a problem related to the order in which the installer
checks for network availability.

My computer had another OS installed at that time. If I recall correctly, I
started the Guix System installation process, told the installer to use the
whole disk for installation, and only after formatting the disk, the installer
told me there was a connection problem, and I couldn't install the system. So I
couldn't boot to the old OS at that point. Fortunately, people on #guix helped
me solve the network problem (related to bug) and I could install the Guix
System.

So, if this is still the case, I think the installer should check for network
connection before attempting to do any destructive operation.

---
https://sirgazil.bitbucket.io/