guix-devel

Re: Testing the installer

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Testing the installer
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2020 15:54:49 +0100

Hi!

Mathieu Othacehe <address@hidden> skribis:

>> I’ve pushed ‘wip-installer-test’, which implements said protocol.  See
>> screenshot below!  :-)
>
> Woow, that's impressive :)

Glad you like it.  :-)

> I just gave you access to Guile-newt repository so that you can
> integrate your changes. I will create a new release once its done.

Thanks, will do!

> In the future, I would have liked to keep open the possibility of having
> one installer with multiple graphical backends (newt, gtk, cli). That
> would mean that we would need to factorize the protocol part in the
> backend agnostic part of the installer.
>
> Anyway, for now it would be completely over-engineered, as we don't know
> yet if a new backend will come one day.

Yeah, I think that can come later.

> Please let me know if you want help on some point but, I think that I'll
> try to tackle the "installer cannot restart issue".

It’d be great if you could address that issue!

For my part, I’ll try to get with at least one test to make sure the
approach is viable.  Then I’ll need help to write new tests and to
improve things here and there.

Also, for 1.0, we had also messed up with things like MATE.  I’d like us
to have system tests for the desktops we propose: GNOME, MATE, etc.
That would mean at least ensuring that a config like that of
‘desktop.tmpl’ allows us to log in via GDM, and then to start a terminal
in the desktop (I suppose we could do that using the keyboard, with
‘marionette-type’ etc.  NixOS tests are a good source of inspiration:

  https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/blob/master/nixos/tests/gnome3.nix

Help welcome!

Ludo’.