guix-devel

Re: Testing the installer

From: Gábor Boskovits
Subject: Re: Testing the installer
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2020 12:21:27 +0100

Hello Mathieu,

Mathieu Othacehe <address@hidden> ezt írta (időpont: 2020. jan.
23., Cs, 10:42):

> Hey!
>
> > I’ve pushed ‘wip-installer-test’, which implements said protocol.  See
> > screenshot below!  :-)
>
> Woow, that's impressive :)
>
> I just gave you access to Guile-newt repository so that you can
> integrate your changes. I will create a new release once its done.
>
> In the future, I would have liked to keep open the possibility of having
> one installer with multiple graphical backends (newt, gtk, cli). That
> would mean that we would need to factorize the protocol part in the
> backend agnostic part of the installer.
>
> Anyway, for now it would be completely over-engineered, as we don't know
> yet if a new backend will come one day.

This is a bit off topic, but I am about to create an automatic
installer, that is
a candidate for a new backend. It currently works by providing a configuration
record, and then executes a few things from the installer.

(It does a lookup for a candidate installation target disk, autopartitions it,
then injects the bootloader and file-system fields into an operating-system
template, and finally does a system installation.)

I will have a look at the new protocol soon, to see if this project
can benefit from that.

> Please let me know if you want help on some point but, I think that I'll
> try to tackle the "installer cannot restart issue".
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mathieu

Best regards,
g_bor
--
OpenPGP Key Fingerprint: 7988:3B9F:7D6A:4DBF:3719:0367:2506:A96C:CF63:0B21