guix-devel

Re: Testing the installer

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Testing the installer
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2020 23:27:08 +0100

Hello!

Mathieu Othacehe <address@hidden> skribis:

> That sounds like a nice idea! I guess we can discuss it more deeply
> during Guix Days, but here are a few thoughts:
>
> * Testing from a VM won't cover HW issues with undetected wifi networks
> and kmscon rendering issues, but could cover most partitioning issues.

Yeah, but for that we need manual testing, there’s no other option.

> * This kind of client/server protocol would make even easier to
> switch to a gtk graphical installer.

Well, if we replace the explicit Newt calls with a higher-level
interface, yes.

Besides, the protocol may prove useful for accessibility because it
provides semantics.

> * Before the next release, it would be nice to fix the "installer always
> fail when restarted" issue than has been bitten lots of people.

Yes!

I’ve pushed ‘wip-installer-test’, which implements said protocol.  See
screenshot below!  :-)

What’s left to do now is to write an actual test that uses it.

Speaking of which, does anyone know if there’s a way to share a
Unix-domain socket between a QEMU guest and its host?  (Over 9p?)

Thanks,
Ludo’.

PNG image